I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Training Camp - Day Three PM

This afternoon workout was putting what we learned in class into action.

We paddle over to the Cedar river, which is right next door to the club. The river is about 10 - 15 meters wide where we were lining up for our turn at starting. We would go off one at a time. I was behind Ken in his Huki, and me in the Super Lancer.

My first two starts were ok. I was just trying to shake out the bugs and stop the jitters of a start. The third one nearly had me swimming. I am trying to use all the power I can on the first four strokes to get the boat to "pop" out of the water and get it up to speed as fast as possible.

Dan has noticed that my paddle as it hits the water is open way too much. The shaft is slipping in my hand. so it is rotating to a not so efficient angle. So after the session, I have taped a built up piece of tape to stop the shaft from rotating. I will get to test this modification tomorrow.

No comments: