I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Technique Paddle

Well today's workout was a technique session. I was just going to concentrate on my stroke and position in the boat.

As I started down the lake, I noticed that there was a lot of debris on the surface of the water.Leaves, sticks, and weeds, which in my observation were like magnets to the bow of my boat. About every 100 meters or so, i would have to rock my boat in order to get them off. Good thing I was working on technique and not speed.

After each 4 km loop, I would stop at th dock, get out of the boat, and stretch and think about what i was doing with my stoke. Was I putting my blade in vertical, and as far forward as I could by rotating. As i was rotating, was I pulling all the way through the stroke, and not just at the beginning.

I did 3 loops for a total of 12 kms. Next week I will be upping the distance to 16 kms, and the week after that, up to 20 kms. This will end up being the day before I leave for Dan's training camp in Washington. Which I am really looking forward to. I hope to learn a lot.

1 comment:

rainbow said...

Paddled the lake today...was lots of floating debris at the 500-750m area...so your the one responsible eh!