I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Training Camp - Day Five PM

We started our trip for VO2 max testing at Western Washington University in Bellingham a little after noon. As soon as we started to go it started snowing like crazy. I was wondering if we were going to make it. With Dan driving we arrived at WWU with no problems.

I was getting a little apprehensive about the testing. I did not know what to expect in terms of the difficultly in this test. I made sure that I did not go first, so I could see how it worked.
Elaine volunteered to go first. (thank you) , then Steve, Susan, and then myself. So I got to watch three tests before mine. It really help calm the nerves before I was suppose to go.

Well I got all hooked up to the analyzer, and the heart rate monitor. I got a plastic bag to put under my butt so I could slide better in the seat. It made a big difference. Well let me tell you, this test is not a easy one, by any means. We started at an easy stroke rate on the erg, and then upped it every 2 mins, while indicating the perceived difficultly level with each increase on a chart. (12 = easy / 20 = very hard)

With each increase it became harder and harder. If it wasn't for everyone cheering me on, i won't not have lasted as long as I did. I lasted 8:08 minutes before exploding. at the end it was all I could do just to keep paddling.

I managed to reach my VO2 max level. So now I have a base line and the proper numbers to use with a heart rate monitor for my training. Now all the training zones will have an accurate number to go by.

No comments: