I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Technique Paddle



Today I decided to not do the training run, but instead paddle at the lake. The morning looked good, but by the time I got to the lake in the afternoon, it did not look too good. The water was ok, just it was cloudy and cold. I decided that I was going to continue from last week and just concentrate on technique, and getting used to the boat.

Everything went ok. By the end of the first 4 km loop, my thighs were stiff, so I decided to stop at the dock, and re-adjust my seat and stretch my legs. As I was stretching Lief showed up to paddle. I figured I could make another look before he was ready to paddle, so off I went. I was really paying attention to putting my blade in vertical and as far forward as I could rotate. Then I would power through the whole stroke.

As I got to the 250m platform before the dock I could see Lief getting his boat ready. I stopped and we chatted for a couple of minutes and then off he went. Well by the time I got turned around he had quite a lead on me. It took me , all the way to the 1000m platform to catch him. Once I caught him we stayed together for the remainder of the loop.

All in all, a good workout. Being March it is time to start increasing the amount of paddling I do. With Daylight savings time coming next week, this should help out.

No comments: