I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Last Swim of the Week

Well I made it, Friday at last.

The last swim of the week was a good one. Starting to force myself to swim the other guy and gals in the lane next door. This is not going to be easy, but every couple of lengths I would switch to the front crawl from the frog stroke I usually do.

My biggest problem doing the front crawl is my air exchange. I am still taking in too much water and not enough air. I am starting to breathe out while my face is in the water, so I can have a quicker exchange. I know I will get it at some point, it is just going to take time and practice. I have to remember the reason for doing all this swimming, is not to become a great swimmer, but to get the most out of my workouts.

Mind you, my brother, who is one of the reasons I look forward to swimming on Friday's was right on form. "You should do the Delta triathlon" he says. "It is only a 700m swim, 20 kms bike, and a 8 kms. run" Most of time I would just node politely, but this time he got me thinking. This is within my capabilities with a little training. This of course would be only for enhancing my training for kayaking.

But I don't have a proper road bike, just a hybrid that I ride. Humm I wonder where I could borrow I bike if I decide to go in this triathlon. It was my brothers suggestion, and he and I are the same size roughly. Can you see where I am going with this Alan.

No comments: