I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

1st Morning Swim

Well today I started morning swims. I think I have gone insane.

I arrived at the pool at 5:45AM, to an empty parking lot. I was thinking to myself, am I the only moron going swimming at this time in the morning. Boy was I wrong, there are more morons going swimming. By the time it reached 6AM, the parking lot was half full, and a line up at the desk.

Soon as I walked onto the pool deck, I noticed something different compared to the pool I normally go to. This pool was twice as long. Oh boy, I hope I don't drown. So the goal was to go as many laps as I could without stopping or a very short (15-30 sec) rest in between. As I was swimming , everyone in the swim club in the lane next to mine was passing me. The kicker was that they were doing their “warm up” laps, and I was doing my “survival” swim.

I managed to do my goal, which is great. Now I just need to shorten or eliminate the rests in between laps. After today, I have decided, (again with the insanity) to do this three times a week. That will bring my training to three runs and three swims a week.

3 comments:

rainbow said...

3 runs and 3 swims each week...very good, that'll certainly develop your fitness.

Ummm, do your goals still involve paddling?

I'm curious to understand your big picture rational as to how all this off water (out of boat) training is fitting in with achieving your end goals.

dkpearse said...

This dryland training is going to raise my endurance / speed endurance level, which is to say pathetic.

These are things that I can do with the limited time that I have right now. Actually paddling is in the game plan. I just have to fit it in. Once the dyas get longer it will be easier to do it all, and not go insane.

Thanks for reminding me that I am doing this to improve my paddling.

Sometimes it hard to see the trees from the forest.

rainbow said...

Makes sense...time (and energy) is always a factor when it comes to training.

The reason I brought it up is that I have been doing similar evaluation of my own training...will be talking to my coach to ensure I'm maintaining enough focus on my goals of being a faster paddler...I don't want to be a swimmer or a runner...these are tools to help me achieve my paddling goals.