I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tough Running Session

Today was another training run, but I decided to push myself. I kept the same format of 2 mins. jog / 1 min. walk, but every second jog was a hard one.

During the hard rep. I would push it well beyond my race pace. To the point I was wishing it was over. At the end of each session I could tell I was pushing it because I could feel each hair on my legs like they were needles. (90%+) This is exactly what I need to do to raise my aerobic threshold, and to be able to compete through the pain.

As the two minutes worn on, I would concentrate on keeping my breathing deep and long, and try to relax by keeping my head up and my neck long. This serve two proposes. The first is to keep my focus on my technique and away from the pain. The second is to train my body to relax during a high intensity training session, and to keep my diaphragm open to take in the most air as I can.

This is going to come into play more and more as I progress in my training. Well it is off to the pool for laps.

No comments: