I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Run with Monster Energy


Well we decided to change up today's run and stretch it out. It was now going to be 6 X 3 mins jog / 2 mins walk. Which after Sunday's run was a comfort to me.

Since this was going to be a medium run, I decided to "test" some of the Monster Energy M80 Drink that they were handing out at the erg races a couple of weeks back. Since I was bagged from getting not enough sleep last night, what better time to try it out, and see if it works.

Well let me tell you, I was pumped after 15 mins of drinking the can. I didn't like the taste too much. I was thinking how I was going to handle the carbonation during the run. I even told the girls who were going to be setting the pace, that if they hear something nasty behind them, to just keep running. ;-)

As it turned out, everything was fine for the whole run. We did a good medium pace. I had set up my Garmin Forerunner 101 for intervals, so I could track it as well tell us when to jog or run.
Out of the year or so that I have had it, I never used that feature. Well it will really come in handy in the boat and on dry land.

Here are the times for each set:

1 comment:

rainbow said...

So what makes this energy drink work? Is it really an energy drink or is it a stimulants drink?

I'd be interested to hear what your spring training camp intructor(s) and participants think of the practise.