I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Deep Cove Race #2


Today's race proved to be a good one for me. I was strong through out the race, not like last week's race. I had actually skipped Monday's swim and this afternoon's run, just so I could be rested for the race. Plus the Sun Run is this weekend, so I needed to cut back a bit for it as well.

I was pretty tight and not feeling great during the first part of my warm up, but I was feeling a lot better by the end. The air temperature was cold. I guess I was spoiled by the last weekend's warm and sunny weather.

The race was to go North out of Deep Cove to Lone Rock and back. I lined up on the left side at the start. Beside me to the left was Jeff, a double, and to the right was Ty and Terry in their marathon canoe, and Bob and Mike next to them in a XT double surf ski. The water was flat, so I knew the start was going to be a fast one. On the start my goal was to stay “close” to Jeff and hang on. Well that did not last long, but my start was really good and put me way up close to the leaders.

The next part of my plan was to get to a nice stroke rate and keep it there. This worked very well as I was just cruising at a high aerobic rate for me. Ty and Terry came by me, and I sucked onto their side wash.
As we were going towards the lighthouse, Kristin came motoring by in her K1. (man can that girl paddle) As she went by Ty and Terry seemed to weave a bit, so off I went around them, trying to catch Kristin. I managed to keep her about 5 boat lengths ahead, but could not close the gap. This position stayed the same until we got to the light house and the turn. Ugh. I am a horrible in the turns. As I was going around the light house, Ty yells to me , that they are going wide. Which worked for me cause whether I like it or not, so was I.

As we started back to the cove, I could see in the corner of my eye, a blue K1, cruising along side. I thought it was Jim at first, but it turned out to be Rebeca, and Kiran in her Super Lancer K1 ripping by. So I notched up the intensity, so I could attempt to stay with them. I had all three boats in front of me, so I just slid into the cradle made by Rebeca and Ty / Terry. This was great, but I wasn't paying attention and I got dropped off the back.

So now it was a grind to try and get back onto the group. It was long before the group got spread out as well. With Kiran charging ahead of Ty and Terry, and Rebeca falling off the back. So now I was trying to catch Rebeca as we passed the 5km zone can. I was trying to crank up the stroke rate, but could not do it. She got by about 4 to 5 boat lengths at the line.

I was pleased with my race. It is showing me that my training is slowly starting to pay off. Now I just have to keep reminding myself that this is a long term process, and it is not going to happen over night.
With each workout, I need to bring up the intensity, and duration.

No comments: