I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

5 km. Fartlek Run Training

Today's run was some fartlek training. I have a 5 kilometer loop that I run in the mornings some times. So I used this loop, and varied the pace up and down throughout the whole run. I would up the pace between things like power poles, traffic signs, and such.

My average pace was 11.6 kph, with a max. pace of 15.3 kph. Slowly I need to bring the average pace way up, to somewhere near to 14.5 kph. This is going to take some time, and training to get there, but I am stubborn enough to do it.

This would bring my 5 km times down to the 20 minute range. I will help me train for the longer 10k races in a sub 50 minute range.

No comments: