I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Burnaby Long Distance 2008

Today started in the rain, but by the time the regatta started it was sunny and warm.

The first event was the 2 km time trial for people who wanted the times. It was a base line test for the athletes. I did not go in this race, but was helping in the starters boat. There was over 45 paddlers going to race the clock. With the fastest time going to Ian McKenzie at 8:06.

The next race was the 6km K1/C1/surf ski race. There was going to be three heats of racers. with 63 racers heading for the line it looked like the traffic at rush hour. The masters was in the third group to go. I had number 63 so I was the farthest from the started. When we finally managed to line up together just before the start, a group from one of the first two group came by, make a good size wake. I managed to handle the waves surprisingly easy. Then just after they passed, the race was on.

The faster paddlers took off on the right hand side of the course. making the nicest side wake you could ever hope for. I was in a wash riding heaven. As usual all good things must come to an end, and as we approach the turn at the end of the lake, I had to cross over to the right so I could make the turn. My turns are not very good, and the two guys in front of me left me behind. (something I need to work on) My race was not that good. I was passed by one guy, and managed to keep him close, but could not make up any ground at all.

By the time it was all said and done , I had finished in the back with a time of 34:09. This shows me how much work, I have to do if I am going to go faster. This time together with the couple of other race times will be my base line, to go from.

After resting for a little while, and since I was not going into the K2 6 km race, I decided to do some technique paddling to the end of the lake and back. (4kms) This was a good paddle with the sun out and the temperature nice and warm. During this paddle I did a couple of power ups, to see how bad my technique gets with the increase in stroke rate.

After this loop I went in to rest up a bit, before the K2/C2/double surf ski 6 km. race. Since I wasn't going to go in the race, I decided to follow the racers around the course in my K1. At least this was the plan. The starter was trying to line everyone up, so I decided to loop back around and come up from behind. Well i guess I was too close to the south shore and as I was paddling, my left blade nailed a submerged log, and you guessed it, over I went.

The rescue boat was going to come and help me, but I waved them off. Where I was I could actually stand up. Well with my feet in about a foot of mud. I emptied my boat of water, and then started to think how was I suppose to get back in the boat. Just them my foot touched what I hope was a log, and I had something solid to stand on. It made it so I was waist deep. Enough to swing my right leg over and slide my butt on the seat. So I balanced with the paddle and brought the left leg in, and off I went.

I went for another loop before heading back to the finish line, so I could see the end of the race. As I was heading back one of the K2s went for I dip. Gee I don't feel so bad now.

It was a good day of paddling all around. (aside from the race of course)

No comments: