I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Running - Speed Workout


Today's run was a speed workout. The objective is to go at a pace that is higher than my normal race pace. . The eventual goal is to increase my race pace to a higher level, by training at the speed I want to achieve.

The workout was 10X 2 mins on at a fast pace / 1 minute off. It started off ok, with the first set. Speed was ok, pace was good. The second set was the fastest of the ten. Very fast pace (19.9 kph) at the beginning and was really hurting at the end. The average for that set was 15.3 kph, which for me is an excellent pace. After that, though the speeds starting dropping. By the time I got to the seventh set my right ankle was starting to really tighten up. It is still not 100%, and I am going to have to keep an eye on it.

On the ninth set, I stayed with Michelle to get an accurate measurement of her pace. Now with that number we can work on changing the workouts to bring her speed up. What I really need to start concentrating on is, keeping the pace even. Not blast off and then slowly die, but to keep the pace the same all the way through the set. I will need to play with my GPS, and set it to a specific pace. That way it can tell me if I am going to slow or too fast.

No comments: