I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Deep Cove #8 - Figure Eight, Crash, And Bump



Long course: (10 kms)

the long course goes to the north 5 km can, then goes to Lone Rock. Passing between the lighthouse and the island, we then proceed to the southern Twin island, keeping it on our left side. heading north we go between the islands and go around the north island, keeping it on our right side. Basically we are going to do a figure eight around the islands. Which should be fun, we just have to watch out for crashes in between the islands. From there we head back to the north 5km can, and into the finish.



Today I am going to do the long course in my EVO. The start was a wild one. it was one of the most interested I have ever been in. As we were lining up, the wind started blowing everyone toward the dock. it was getting very tight, with boats side by side and no place to put your paddle in.

Then the starter said three, two, one go, and it was nuts. blades everywhere boats bouncing off of each other, it was great. I managed to go about 100 meters and wham, everyone from the right came rocketing over at me. I had no place to go, with Bob on my left. It was a quick smash up. I was kidding Lina by asking who taught her to drive. she was two boats over, but I could easily reach over and touch her, that's how close we were.

We managed to get untangled, and get moving again, when I heard Corky telling me to go left. I couldn't and we got hooked up. I did a side draw, and got free from him. Bob was beside me looking good in his Epic V10 Elite. He then decided that all this crashing and banging was not his cup tea, and hammered away to the front of the pack. Boy when he puts the power down, he can really scoot.

The group stayed together until we got past the north 5km can. During the leg to Lone rocks it spread way out. After the start I was really behind, and had to crank it up just to keep up. I could see Csaba in front of me in an EVO, and he was going to be my first “goal”. It took about 6 minutes to catch and pass him. Next was to catch Brian and Bridget in their Millennium double ski, Micky, Bill, and Katja. Who were about 100 meter in front of me.

This would take the whole race just to catch Katja. I reached the lighthouse and turned toward the southern twin island. The group in front of me had strung out in to a long line with Brian and Bridget leading the way. Katja decided to go on her own, and was off to the left of the group. I was stuck in no man's land again, not gaining and not losing ground, just maintaining position. It was like this all the way across the arm. As we approached the island I noticed that the waves were going north, and that once we got to the other side of the island i could use the waves to try to surf up to the group.

The group all got around the point before I got there, and was racing away, so I cranked it up so I could try and keep the gap from increasing. Looking up a head I could see a couple of paddlers heading toward us. One was a beautiful carbon Think Legend who did not take the turn between the islands. Next I could see the group in front stop, and lined up trying to squeeze through the 3 to 4 foot pass between the islands. seeing this I hammered to catch up.



As I got closer I could see that a stand up paddle boarder coming from the north was going to reach the exact same spot as me. He managed to get into the tight pass before me, he slowed right down, but I “helped” him through, something I don't think he liked. Going through I could feel my rudder scraping the bottom. I was hoping that I did not damage my rudder. after getting through, I passed the surf boarder, and hammered to get back up to speed. I did a couple of zig zags to test the rudder. everything seemed ok. Going around the corner of the north island, I could see the group had really shot ahead in the current. I could tell we were in the current because my GPS went from 9.6 kph to 12.8 kph, in a snap of the fingers.

Of course everyone in front of me had the same advantage, and it was going to be hard to catch up. I powered up, and managed to close about 75% of the gap. Coming around the north end of the island, wham, now I was going against the current. Just as fast as the speed went up, it dropped just as fast.

I could see the group just in front of me heading for the gap. I thought if they had to stop last time, then it should happen again. So I kept the power up, hoping I would catch up. Sure enough the group stopped and was waiting their turn to go through. As I was getting closer, I could see each one getting through. Behind them there were more boats coming for their first shot at the gap. I eye balled a red plastic sea kayak, and figured we were going to get there at the same time, but this time I was not going to give way.

He managed to just get his nose in there, before me, but that was ok, I just rammed my ski in there, and kind of used him as a bumper against the rocks. From there I just kept paddling to move myself past. I don't think he knew what happened. Coming out of the gap and around the corner, I saw Matt on the shore working on his rudder. I guess a casualty of the low water level. From here it was just going to be a grind all the way back to the finish line. My goal was to just catch the group in front before the finish line.

My progress was slow and steady all the way across the arm. By this time Micky had gone a head of the group of Brian and Bridget, Bill, and Katja. Bill was drafting Brian and Bridget, and Katja was off to their right all alone. It took me most of this leg to finally catch Katja. I needed a huge rest. So I was glued to her wash for the next 1500 meters or more. Then I decide that I should do my time up front, so I moved over to the right and started to pass Katja. I though she would jump on my wash, but I don't think she did. My next goal was to catch the double ski, since Bill had now passed them, and was making a charge for Micky up ahead.

It was too little, too late. Brian and Bridget finished an easy 20 secs in front of me. It was a good hard race.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was too little, too late. Brian and Bridget finished an easy 20 secs in front of me. It was a good hard race..."

I used to be a competitive road cyclist. Accordingly, in that discipline, you would have been the subject of some really nasty verbal abuse from EVERY one of your drafting episodes. You're what we used to refer to as "wheel sucker". At times a "quick-brake" followed by a deft wiggle of the back wheel would be used to either discourage you or send you into the bushes.

The only wake I ride is from power boats cruising in the harbor. Just for fun. I would never degrade and delude myself by using a stronger paddler to pull me along at a pace I'm not capable of going at solo..... Sorry about that... But to each his own.

dkpearse said...

Thanks for the comment.

I was wondering if someone was going mention about wash riding. As you know being a ex "roadie" as well as myself, that it all part of race tactics. As in biking, the problem is with the people who just draft and don't do their turn at the front. I have done my turn at the front just like everyone else, and if I don't like someone on my stern, then I just shake them, it is all part of racing.

Triathlons used to have a rule where drafting on the bike, or running for that matter was illegal, now it is acceptable to draft. They too have realized that it is all part of racing.

The only time you get people pissed is when you continuously bump boats, that is not cool.You have to be on your game to wash ride.

Check out ICF marathon racing on the internet (www.canoeicf.com)It is the governing body for canoe and kayak racing, or www.flatwater.info for pictures of marathon races.

Darrell