I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Deep Cove #5 – Four Races in Seven Days


Today's race was going to be a bit of a struggle having raced three times already in seven days, so I was tired. It was to the point where I didn't want to do a overly long warm up.

I guess the warmer weather is starting to bring out more paddlers. There was a debate on how much or how little clothing to wear. I opted for the thinest long sleeve shirt with neoprene pant and boots. I noticed Gary is no longer wearing his dry suit after the weekend's race.

I didn't really have a strategy for this race, just go as hard as I could, and see how long can I last. The start was fairly quick at 14.4 kph, being led by Jim in his K1, and Garth in a Think surf ski. I considered this start as a good one because Katja and I did not bang together as per usual. As with every race going south there was a long line of boats on the right hand side. So I was riding up the left side of the line along the good size wave being created by the group.

I made some progress, by not very much. I had Micky, Matt, Rod and Katja in front of me. A sight I would have to get used to for the rest of the race. So for the rest of the race this is how it went. I would catch up to Katja, and then after a while fall back. Catch up, fall off, catch up, fall off. I just did not have the energy to stay in there.

Rod fell off the line of Matt and Micky, who were now drafting Ty and Terry who were in their marathon canoe. I managed to get on Katja's wake for the nth time, and she pulled me up to Rod. Then it happened again, off the back I went. So all the way from Boulder Island to the 5 kilometer can I was trying to get back up to Rod and Katja. the really frustrating thing was seeing not far in front of us was the group of Ty and Terry, Micky, Matt, and now Daryl tagging along. The guys in the back looked like they were barely paddling. Their stroke rate was noticeably slower than mine. They definitely made it look easy.

As we approached the 5 kilometer can, I knew I had better get moving and catch up or I was not going to be in the heat of things at the end. So I started to crank up the power and the rate from way out. I was starting to make some head way on Rod and Katja just when the safety boat came by with their good sized wake. Well I wasn't really thinking and got caught by the side waves and it cranked my around sideways. I came to almost a complete stop, with the other two riding the waves away from me.

I quickly got turned in the right direction, and started to hammer to try and catch up. I concentrated solely on technique and power. By we got to the finish line, I had reeled in the 30 meters that separated us, and finish right behind Katja. I was going so hard that I thought I was either going to crash into Katja on the right or the boat parked at the dock on the left.

I good try at the end, so I was pleased with that. As for the rest of the race, humm..... not so happy with. Oh Well. More training, and a rest day tomorrow.

No comments: