I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinqo de Mayo – AM Paddle


To celebrate Cinqo de Mayo, I decided to bring out the Thunder K1, and start training in it. So off I went to the Deas Island slew. This is a very nice piece of water, and where I will be doing the most of my K1 training this summer.

The first 500 meters was a little twitchy, but after that things came together. This mornings paddle was all about technique in the K1. Concentrating on keeping up hand up, and bringing the blade in vertical and as close to the hull as possible.

I would slow down and try to paddle with proper technique. It is easier to paddle at a fast rate, but it is a different story going slow. With the hour that I had to paddle, I managed to do 9.17 kilometers. I did a few power ups as well, and managed to get to 14.3 kph. Not bad for not paddling this boat since September of last year.

No comments: