I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Deep Cove #7 - XT Double Surf Ski



Tonight's race I am teamed up with my wife Amber in the Fenn XT double surf ski.

Since Amber has not paddled in over a year, ( she is a competitive rower ) we decided that we would do the short course if there was one. As well I would have to use my large Epic wing blade, and let Amber use my mid blade Set. This is a very hard paddle to use over distance, so the shorter the course the better.

When we got to Deep Cove, I went over to check the course board, and our prayers were answered, there was a short course. Once I had the paper work done for the boat and the race, we set up the boat to our liking. I was going to go in the front, because I know the area and where “most” of the large underwater rocks are. I was also going to set the pace, and be in charge of any race tactics that might come into play.

As this was our first paddle together in a surf ski, and Amber's first race in a ski, I thought this was a good arrangement. This was also our first training session together, as we are teaming up to race K2 in Australia at the World Masters Games.

Once we had the boat set up, we went out for a warm up paddle. The boat was quite stable and we seemed to be going pretty good right off the bat. I took us through some bouncy chop, and Amber indicated that she was not as stable as she would like. So we headed to the beach to make some adjustments in the foot board. I moved the foot board out to lower her knees, and give her a little more room to push with her feet.

After we paddled out to the 5 km can and back we lined up for the start. I kept us over to the far left, next to the wharf, so we wouldn't have to deal with too much wash. Beside us to the right was Chris in a V10, and then Ben and John in their Mark 2 double ski.

The short course was going to be to 5 km can, then south to Boulder Island, then back to the 5 km can, and then to the finish at the dock. Our start was a nice easy one. I stayed over to the left of the group, and way from the group's wash. We kept this position, all the way to the can, then I cut in toward the group, and rode their wash for a little bit. Then we split with the group and headed off toward Boulder, while the long course racers headed to Cates Park, and beyond.

In the middle of the channel, I was looking to get rides off of any wave I could see. The going was slow as our speed dropped to around 9 kph. I did managed to find some current going our way, combined with some good waves and the speed jumped to over 12 kph. We cruised all the way to Boulder. As we were coming around the south end of the island, on our left side came a orange double. Upon see them, I started to crank up the stroke rate. I completely forgot about my partner behind me, and her ability to keep up.

After a while she commented on slowing the pace down so she could keep up. Oops. By now we were going with the current and waves, that slowing the pace down, and getting our timing insync was making us go faster. As we were getting closer to the 5 km can, I saw Jodi paddling along the wall. She had turned back from the long course and was heading back to the cove. I steered right on to her side wash, and we chatted for a little bit. I had asked her what side of the 5 km can, were we to go on the way back. She said we needed to go around it. That was fine with me. We still had to deal with the orange double right behind us.

Once around the can both Jodi, and Amber and myself started to put the power on. I wanted to see what the orange double would do. They matched what we did. So here is all three of us bearing down on the finish line. Jodi on our right, and the orange double on our left. Just then Amber asks if the dock is the finish line. I say yes, and next thing I could feel the ski being pushed from behind. So that is when I started to bring up the stoke rate, and head straight for the dock.

By heading straight at the dock, I insured that the orange double was not going to pass us on that side. They would have to slow down and try to pass on the right. I was trying to get ahead of Jodi but she managed to hold us off at the line.

A good first race for us as a team. Now we have a “base line” to go forward with. Next up, a K2 practise on the weekend.

No comments: