I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Product Testing: POWERbreathe

This week I have started product testing a POWERbreathe, and for the next eight to ten weeks I will be updating the blog with the weekly updates on my progress.

The POWERbreathe is used by Triathletes, Swimmers, Rowers, Bicycle Racers, Runners, etc., and the list goes on.

Check out the web site: www.powerbreathe.com.

As well as being a sports training device, it is also a medical device for people with Asthma, COPD, Bronchitis, etc, and is listed as a Class 1 medical device.

How It Works

“POWERbreathe will make your breathing muscles stronger, reducing breathlessness during exercise or activity. POWERbreathe uses a technique known as resistance training. This strengthens the breathing muscles by making them work harder, in much the same way as you might using weights to increase the strength of your arm muscles."

“When training with POWERbreathe, you notice that you have to work harder to breathe in. This is the effect of resistance training acting on the muscles used to inhale – primarily the diapharm and rib cage muscles. When breathing out, there is no resistance and you can breathe out normally, allowing the chest and breathing muscles to relax, naturally pushing the air form your lungs.”





When I saw the product and decided to test it, I knew I needed a “baseline” to go from to check the results that I would be measuring during the testing. So I went out and bought a personal flow meter from the drug store. After reading how to correctly measure my breath, I tested myself for a week before starting with the POWERbreathe. My baseline is an average level of 560 LPM, (litres per minute) and will be measuring this once a day to check my progress.

Twice a day I will be using the POWERbreathe, once in the morning and once in the evening, with a total of 30 breaths in each set. As it gets easier to do the 30 breaths, I will increase the resistance. This week I started at the lowest setting of 0, and it was tough to get through, but I managed and by the end of the week I was ready to go up a level.

I would like to thank Robert Remington and the rest of the people at Remington Medical for the demo unit and all the help I have received.

1 comment:

nupe357 said...

This sounds like a very intersting experiment! As time permits please email me to let me know how it turned out. I have problems with allergies and mild ashtma so I am interested in getting a PowerBreathe device. However, I like the idea of hearing how it works from someone else first!

Mike J.
Nupe357 at yahoo dotcom