I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Master Technique Class

Today's practice was a bit of a disappointment for me. I was really sore from Friday's workout. So not being able to move very well, is not good for technique. So I tried to just go back to the basics for todays paddle on the suggestion of my coach. She really knows her stuff, and could tell today's session was not going to be too productive.

So I just concentrated on keeping my top hand going at eye level and straight across and not dropping. It was a gorgeous day. Sunny and warm, with no wind. It made for a nice paddle of over 10 kms. I kind of lost count of how many laps I completed. I was doing an ok pace and was catching the paddlers in front of me. I caught one paddler, she was going at a good pace, so I stayed with her for a while.

Then I decided to practice so wash riding. So I rode the wash on the right side, and then drop back a few meters and power up on the opposite side, and ride the wash on the left side. I practices this for a couple of minutes. Then I dropped back to chat with Gary and another paddler. Now it was getting a little chilly, so I decided to head in to the dock. As I was going in, I started to do some balance work. It was four stroke with my eyes open and four strokes with my eyes closed. Towards the end near the dock I had to watch out because there is a cable that goes underwater. I have been caught by it before, and got hung up on it. It was a little freaky, but I managed to stay up, and back up off the cable. So I made sure I went wide of it this time.

Another issue I had today was that I was using my Epic large blade for this practice. It wasn't the fact that the large blades are hard to pull, it is that I have shorten the length by quite a bit, and had not changed my tape positions. So I was continuously moving my hands around, trying to find the right spot. Other than the “issues”I was having, it was a nice paddle. Since I don't get on the water as much as I want to these days, all the paddles I get are good ones.

No comments: