I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Kamloops Warm Up Paddle

I got to Shumway Lake just before the club trailer showed up.As I was pulling in the trailer was right behind me. Perfect timing. The wind was a little breezey, nothing too big, as I have heard that this lake can get pretty big waves on it.

Unloaded the Super Lancer, and took it down to the lake for a warm up paddle and to check out the lake. Jim was ahead of me in his Thunder, by about 500 meters. He stopped at the start area at the north end of the lake.

I was having some difficultly in keeping the boat from going to the left. I would need to adjust the cables when I got back to the dock. It was a good paddle going with the waves and I turned at the start line and had a look down the course. Then I started to paddle up the course. Just an easy technique paddle to get the feel of things and to look at the course.

It seems that the course actually turns a little to the right at the end. This I don't think will be a big deal.Once at the end of the course, I headed to the dock and adjusted the cables. Then it off again heading back to the north end of the lake.

That is when I had noticed that I had adjusted the cables in the wrong direction. So I pulled over to the bank and adjusted them in the other direction. Then off to the start line for the 500 meter races. Lined up, and headed to the finish line. I then called it an afternoon, and headed in. Just a short paddle to check out the boat and the lake.

Looking forward to racing tomorrow. I know I am entered in the 500 meters and the 1000 meter K1 races, plus the k2 events as well. Not sure about any K4 races yet, I will have to see which races my coach put me in tomorrow morning.

No comments: