I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Big Chop #6 – Great Downwind Run, Missed Race

Today had the biggest winds in Vancouver for some time. I got an email from Jeff saying lets get there early and do some downwind runs. By the time I got to Vanier both Jeff and Chris had done two runs already. Jeff suggested that we load the skis on a couple of cars and drive to Jericho and do a long down wind run before the race. So we packed up the skis and off we went.

We figured by the time we got there, we would have just enough time to make the race. We got ready in record time and launched from the Ecomarine rental shack. The windsurfers were really ripping it up out there. I cannot believe how fast they were going. We headed out into the bay. We were suppose to go at a 45 degree angle so we wouldn't get in a bad position by the time we reach the entrance to False Creek. But it was having a little difficultly in maintaining that line so I just went with the waves.

It was not long before both Jeff and Chris were over 200 meters to the left of me. So I knew I was on my own, and just kept an eye on them throughout my run. Boy this was fun. You really did not have to do any kind of hard paddling. The waves would just pick you up, and launch you. I managed to get to a maximum speed of 18.4 kph.

As I was getting closer to Kits beach, the waves were starting to come from multiple directions. There were quite a few times where the boat would completely whipped around across the waves. A quick brace, and I would spin the boat back to going with the waves. There was a couple of times were i was stopped and a wave from behind would completely fill the cockpit.

Anyways. As I was rocketing down a big wave, it kicked me sideways, and in I went. I quickly remounted my EVO, but did not get going fast enough, or stick out my legs for balance, and I got chucked out on another big wave. An OC6 out on a training paddle saw this and started coming over to me. They asked if i needed help, and I said I wasn't sure. I tried a couple of times to get in, but it wasn't going my way. So instead of getting too tired and getting myself in a bad situation, I asked the OC6 for help.

They came on my up wind side and drifted back to me. Once they were along side, one of the paddlers took my paddle, and I managed to climb back onto my ski. I thanked them very much for the help, and off I went. During my second dumping, my leash had actually unhooked itself. This is something I will have to fix right away.

From here I evaluated the conditions around the point before the entrance to False Creek. I was not in a good position to go around, so I headed straight with the waves into Kits beach. It was a very fast paddle. As I was heading in, I saw a group of swimmers actually out for a training swim in these waves. There was a lifeguard as well out there trying to row a dingy. he looked like he was wishing he was somewhere else. As I was coming into the beach I unhooked my leash, and out stretched my legs to prevent me from flying into the sand and rocks.

I got the ski up onto the beach without any difficulty, but the wind was blowing so hard, it was trying to spin the boat right out of my hands. From here it was a 1000m portage to the start line of the Big Chop. As I was walking up the beach, Jeff came paddling out of False Creek looking for me. I saw him, put the boat down with my foot on it so it would not blow away, and signaled that I was ok. Then i walked to Vanier with my ski on my shoulder. Yes I did get a few curious looks as i walked along the running path.

When i got to the start line I saw Alan and then Jeff paddling past, so I knew the race had already started. So I went to the registration desk, and told Brian that I was back and ok. then I went down to the beach and launched my ski. I figured since I am here, I might as well go for a training paddle, and use the racers as pace setters.

The course headed into False Creek, with a turn at the Cambie street bridge. The big chop was suppose to do two laps of this course. When I got out into the mix of things, Ryan was just in front of me in his sea kayak. So I cranked it up, and rode the waves up to him. Even though we were in False Creek the waves were still a good size for the wind. I passed Ryan and was looking for the next boat to catch up to.

As I passed the Granville Island market, the OC6 that rescued me was heading the other way out of False Creek. I said hi and thanks again for helping me. Continuing towards the Cambie street bridge, Alan came paddling by going the other way as well. He had done the turn at the bridge and was heading back for his first loop of the course. Right behind him by about 120 meters was Jeff, I said hello as he passed and I continued on.

I looked up ahead and spotted Sean and Chris coming towards me, so I turned around so I could paddle with them back to Vanier. Chris asked how my downwind was, and he told me about Jeffs' and his. We were both in agreement that it was one great day on the skis.

Heading back, I was on Chris's right side and Sean on his left. We were chatting the whole way to the Burrard street bridge and then I said I was going in. (still tired from the swim) So I backed off behind Sean. Then I thought, one more power up, so I put the power on and passed Sean and caught up to Chris. Then I turned and went in.

As usual the after party / meeting was great with smokies, cookies, and chips. So today's paddle / race was a real eye opener as to getting back on the ski in big waves. Can't wait for the next big wave so I can practice hopping off and getting back on in a some what control environment.

No comments: