I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bad Regatta, Frustration Level High

Today turned out to be one very bad regatta for me. Right off the bat when I got there at 7:15 no one had a schedule of races. After a while I figured that the regatta did not start until 9am , and not the usual 8am start.

Then I found out that the entire regatta would be one day. I had planned on two days, so tomorrow I will be going back to the lake for a training session before driving back to Vancouver.

Anyways back to the racing part of today. My first race was not going to be for an hour so I had time to chat with Keith, who I had not seen since last year at a Deep Cove race. There were not many masters so we were group with either the juniors or the open class. Our 1000 meters race had only 5 people in it. This would be the theme for the rest of the day, every race was a final.

The wind was not at the famous Shomway speed yet this morning, so it was just at a light breeze for this race.(that would change later in the day) Keith and I cruised down to the start line, Keith in his SRS Vulcan, and me in my Think Super Lancer.

The referee called us to line, and handed the race over to the starter. The lanes for the races were actually rowing lanes, which are really wide, so there were going to be two boats per lane. I lucked out and got lane #1, with no one in lane #2, so I had the whole lane to myself. This is were my luck ended. Right from the start, I was doomed. I had a slow start, but a smooth one, and managed to go about 100 meters before I was bagged. Gee only 900 meters to go. This was a race of pure survival and pain. I have no endurance what's so ever. So needless to say a came dead last.

Next up was the K2 1000 meters with Keith as my partner. This was good, because I have always had good races with Keith , and today would be no different. (it was the only good part about today) We had a little shaky start, but soon recovered and had a decent race.

Next was a long wait until our next race. This is normal for a regatta. You can have a huge gap between races, sometimes 6 hrs can go between races, but that would be the extreme, the average is about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. The opposite is also true. You can have no time between races and they hold the race for you.Which they do not like doing, and tell you so at the start line.

Well we got to chatting, and lost track of time. The regatta was behind schedule and when we finally got to the start line the referee was not happy with us and warned us that this was the last time we would be late. We tried to use the excuse that we were old, but he was not buying it.

This K2 race was even better than the 1000m before. We had a good start, and were in sync for most of the race. We were smooth, and in time, and managed to finish not far behind the juniors.

The next race was suppose to be an exhibition K4 1000 meters race, since we were not all from the same team. Since this regatta counted towards nationals, the boat had to consist of members from your team, hence the exhibition status of the boat. I don't think there was a single member of the boat that really wanted to do this race, and I know I was glad when we found out the there were four teams and only three K4s. So we scratched from the race and rested for the K1 500 meters.

It was a 2 hour wait for the K1 500 meters. We got up at the scheduled time and started to take our boats to the launch area, when we found out that they were really behind schedule now, but Keith and I decided to go anyways. When we got to the start area, there was a line up of different classes waiting to race, so I headed over to the shore and got out of my boat and went swimming. the heat here in Kamloops is higher than what I am used to on the coast. It was 31 / 32 degree, and a little cooling down was in order, since I had time before our race.

It was another 15 - 20 minutes before they called us to the line. This race was the same as my 1000m race, pathetic. This was just increasing my frustration level, by preforming so poorly.

Back to waiting for the next race. This fortunately was going to be a shorter wait than before only about 20 minutes. Once they switch to 200 meters the schedule goes really fast. When we got to the start line they were behind schedule again. This time we had to wait about 20 minutes in the famous Shomway wind. There was steady wind blowing up the course, with some really go gusts, that blew my boat back quite a ways, and almost sent my hat to the other end of the lake.

Now the waves were starting to get larger, and the wind just a little harder. One group went, and then nothing. The officials weren't calling us to the line or anything. It was about 5 minutes before a bunch of K1 juvenile girls showed up and started to line up. Apparently they decided to hold the race for them. This wouldn't be so bad, except for the wind and waves.

What can I say about my 200 meter race. Well let's say three strikes you're out. it was so bad, I just gave up with 20 meters to go, and just cruised over the finish line, totally pissed with myself.

It was a crappy end to my day. Now it was time to make a list of what went right and what went wrong at this regatta. Even though it was not a very good regatta, there are still things you can learn from and work on to fix. So that it what I am doing over the next couple of days. The stuff that I had no control over does not get on the list. Things like the heat, wind, waves, and the schedule are things that I just have to forget and move on.

Things that I actually can control will be on the list. i.e. endurance, speed, power. I will have to evaluate which of the elements gets priority, and to what level, to get ready for September and the BC Masters, which is the next and last sprint regatta of the year.

2 comments:

rainbow said...

Bummer about the way your regatta went Darrell...seems like you've made great improvement in your overall fitness...you may just need to fine tune your training more specifically to your goals by spending more time in K1...but you likley know this.

There are still a couple months till masters champs...you are welcome to join our evening training at Deer Lake.

dkpearse said...

That would be great. I am going to go to the clubs tech classes on the Wednesdays, and will try to free up the time to paddle with you guys.

Thanks