I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Starts, Starts, and More Starts

Today's workout started like the rest, with stretching. Having my muscles warmed up and loose is very important to having a good session. I start with the legs, and then move progressively up the body:

Calves
Hamstrings
Quadriceps
Lower Back
Upper back
Shoulders Arms
Neck

I did two loops of the slough, before heading to the beach to practice balance and starts. First up was balance drills. Side draws, backwards paddling, bouncing the boat,etc. Then I though of a new one, I took my feet off the foot board all moved them side by side towards my butt. I managed to get my heels touching the seat platform. Then I paddled around in that position. I almost went in doing this. I got a cramp in my right leg, and pushing my feet back to the foot board, I tipped over, but saved it right at the last moment.

Then I started doing the start progressions. Starting with just sitting still and keeping my paddle in the start position. Each time I would try to hold it longer, from one second all the way to the full ten seconds. Next was paddling backwards and then one hard stroke forward. Again with each time I would increase a forward stroke all the way to eight strokes.

Then it was full start from a stopped position. Always lining up to something and looking both left and right to line myself up. Then it was a quick hard stroke, and building to eight strokes. Then session was really good, and I didn't go swimming. So since the water was warm, I decided to really go for it. This time I would pull as hard as I could, if I went in, oh well. I managed to stay dry and it really increased the speed of my starts.

As always a planned one hour session turned into a hour and a half session. Once things are clicking, you just don't want to lose it, so you keep going.

No comments: