I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hot Paddle in September

Today was one of the hottest days that I can remember in a while. (of course my memory is not that good)

It was a easy two laps with Shota in the Extreme and me in my Thunder. I kept having to stop and look to make sure Shota was doing ok. After coming in, I went and stretched again because I was tightening up. Then it was time to practice balance and more starts. The balance section went good, but the start section wasn't as good as I had hoped.

For the balance it was more of the same. Sitting still with my eyes closed, and paddling around, with side draws. Rocking the boat, and bouncing the boat. After the main balancing drills were done, I started to try new ones. I tried to tip the boat over as far as I could without going over. A new one was taking my PFD and putting on my seat, and paddling around. This made the boat extremely tippy by lifting me up by about 2 inches above the seat. this is where I got to cool down from the heat. Boy that felt great.

The starts weren't very good. I kept leaning over to the right for some unknown reason. I went swimming on numerous occasions. I just could not get it hooked up, with any consistency. I just have to keep working on it, to get it dialed in.

I gave Shota a shot at the Thunder. He got in the boat while I held it by the bow. I did not let go, and he got the idea on how tippy this boat is real fast. I asked him if he wanted to try it again, but he said no.

Still lots of fun on such a warm day.

No comments: