I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Touring Through Delta


This mornings paddle was basically touring. Myself and my new foreign exchange student went for a leisurely paddle out of Deas Island and into one of the channels that go all through the area.

This was Shota's very first paddle in a kayak. Straight from Japan, and straight into a kayak. Sounds good to me. I had him in my Current Designs Extreme, and I was in my EVO surf ski. All I had to do was show him how the rudder peddles worked, hand him my SET wing blade, and off he went.

He had a smile on his face the whole time. I think he was having fun. We ended up seeing seals and blue herons, and heard, but did not see, one of the local bald eagles. At the end of our 12 kilometer journey, (boy is he going to sleep tonight) Shota practised paddling near the dock, while I did some full out starts to 100 meters. I managed to do about 5 starts, before things began to go south. So that's when I ended it.

A good paddle on a nice day.

No comments: