I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Big Chop #10 – Last Thursday Night Race of the Season

Tonight was the last Thursday night race of the season. So it is actually sad that the surf ski race season is rapidly coming to an end. This race was going to be the first with the moved up foot board, it should be interesting.

I got there early because I know the last race is the most popular, and there was going to be a lot more racers trying to register. So I managed to get there about 2 hrs before race time. Casually got signed up. Brain must have known there was going to be more racers tonight, because he opened registration 20 minutes early.

As the racers started to show up, I saw people I had not seen in a long time coming out to race. I knew this was going to be a good race with lots of boats. So after stretching, it was off for a warm up paddle. I just paddled out past the maritime museum and then turned around and headed back to the start line.

People were already lining up at the start chopping at the bit for the start. The boats were lined up from the dock to the middle of the channel, and three to four boats deep. I parked myself in the second row right behind Marshall, and beside a OC1.

The start was a fast one, with what seemed everyone squeezing into the middle. I took off right behind Marshall, who was moving up quickly. I passed the OC1, and jumped up beside Marshall. I kept that position for the next couple of minutes, until we caught Matt and Olivia in the double XT. Then I took the left side and Marshall the right side.

As we got closer to the red marker, I had a flash back of the last race and getting squeezed going around the corner, so I started to move up to give me more room. Just as I thought it was four boats side by side going around the marker. Once around the marker, I hammered it to try and catch Brian and Trista in their Nelo K2. This was going to be my challenge for the rest of the race. I managed to get on their stern wake, but it was hard to stay there. I can't count how many times I caught them only to be dropped. I think they were messing with me.

As we passed the last turn going into False Creek, I had a sense that someone was coming up on my left, and sure enough the yellow nose of Katja's Think Legend caught my eye. Now I had to think how I wanted my last Big Chop race to go. So it wasn't long before I decided I was not going to give up, and started to power each stroke. moving my foot board closer really helped me put as much power down as I could.

I guess she figured out that it was going to be a race that she upped it as well. Then i saw some big rollers coming at me from a rather large boat coming out of the creek. I just thought to myself, keep the technique no matter what. If I go swimming, then I go swimming. It was all or nothing. I ripped over the waves, and just kept hammering. It so happened that as I was fighting off Katja, I didn't notice that I was rapidly catching Brian and Trista.

So now I cranked up the stroke rate. By the time we hit the finish line the nose of my EVO was right in the middle of their K2, and we managed to get the same time. It was a very good, hard race, and I was pleased with my effort.

No comments: