I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Master's Technique Class - K1'

Tonight was our bi-monthly Master's technique class at Burnaby Lake. Every 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month we have the class. The club offers this class for $200 for the whole year. Since our coach Lynn is away right now, Sara the coach from Fort Langley came to coach us. It was a good turn out. There was seven of us, six in K1s and one on a surf ski.

Our workout was going to be 1000 meters:

The first 1000 was at 70%.
The second was 250 meters at 70%, 500 meters at 80%, 250 meters at 90%.
The third was 450 meters at 70%, 100 meters at 90%, 350 meters at 70%, and 100 meters at 90%.
The forth was 250 meters at 70%, 250 meters at 100%, 250 meters at 70%, 250 meters at 100%

With each set we were given certain aspects of our stroke to concentrate on. Mine was to pause at the setup, before rotating, and then to pull the blade out of the water quicker.

These got tougher with each new 1000, but I managed to get through it, with only having to stop twice. Then we practiced starts at the dock. we did about five starts before we finished. My starts were a lot better than the ones I did at the regatta on the weekend.

No comments: