I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Big Chop#4 – Good Start, Strong Race

This afternoon the skies were sunny with some clouds and warming up. this was a concern for me because I brought paddler gear for cold weather, after Tuesday night's race. As per usual with weather in Vancouver, by the time I got to Vanier Park, the weather had changed to cloudy and was looking like it was going to rain.

So on went the neoprene pants and booties. So all geared up, GPS on, and reset, and it was off for a warm up paddle. The water was basically flat, with the occasional wave from a passing boat. Went to past Heritage harbour, around the point, only to find yep more flat water. This race was going to be a grind. Good time to practice technique.

Paddled back to the start, got turned around, and lined up at the start line. I had Bob on my right, and Chris and Jeff over a couple of boats on my left. Soon as Ryan said go both Jeff and Chris hammered away. I took off after them,with Bob right behind me. I caught them and jumped on Chris's stern wake. Bob came right by me and positioned himself on Jeff's right side. I managed to stay there for a little while before a slide off the back. I kept the fourth position all the way to the red marker.

As my turning skills are not really up to snuff, both Sean on his V10 and the Billy's in their double dugout, passed me. by the time I got straightened out, they had a good gap forming. So for the rest of the rest of the race, I was playing catch up. So I worked on technique. This was good. I was able to put weight on each stroke, and start using more of my torso and legs to generate power.

There was a couple of times I managed to get on some waves and really get some speed going, but as I did it the group in front did it as well. Oh well. Hopefully I will improve with each race.

No comments: