I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

K2 Practice, Skipped Deep Cove Race



Today we decided to do a K2 practice instead of going to race in Deep Cove. I was tired from racing on the weekend and it turned out that tonight was a good night to go to Burnaby Lake. Amber and I went out to practice timing and technique.

At first we were a little rocky in the Sagitta, but after about 5 minutes we seemed to settle down. I was in front setting the pace and steering, or should I say trying to steer. It was not easy keeping the boat going straight, and required quite a bit of corrections. We did the first 4 kilometer loop, and then stopped at the dock to stretch and discuss what we needed to concentrate on. I was having trouble rotating, and my right leg was going numb. Before we started the next loop, we did some turn practice, turning hard left and hard right, keeping the same stroke rate and technique.

Then it was off for the second loop. As we were approaching the 1000 meter platform, my right leg was going numb again, so I decided to cut the loop short. We turned around and headed back to the dock. We were looking straight into the sun, or I was being in front. I was not wearing sunglasses, so it was hard to see. So I decided to do a blind drill. I would do 4 strokes with my eyes open and 4 strokes with my eyes closed. I did not tell Amber what I was doing counting 4 stroke sets. I did not want her to freak that the driver had his eyes closed.

It was a good drill, you really get the feel of the boat on the water. We finished off our workout with a couple of starts. This we will need to work on. On the start I was three strokes ahead of Amber. The main thing is that we are in sync. If it means pulling the blade up sooner, than that is what has to be done. It is not very efficient for us to be out of time at any time during the race.

No comments: