I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Deep Cove#10 - Fast Start, So So Race



While I was in Deep Cove Outdoors store buying a weed deflector, Bob and I started chatting. He asked me what course should we do tonight. So I though about it for a minute. We had gone north and south but not really to the east, so I said how about into Bedwell Bay to the 5 km can there. He said good idea and the course was set.

The weather was, as we now expect, not as warm as it should be. It was a long sleeve shirt night, if not two shirts. Burrrr. I waited to the last minute to get on the water, and warm up. It seems everyone had remember last weeks race start, and were not going too far from the start line. It was like sharks circling for the kill.

Everyone lined up well in advance of the starter telling us what the course would be, and just like last week, the very second she finished with the description it was 1, 2, 3, go. I hammer hard to get near the front. I had a really good start and was up just behind the fast guys. Ben took off like a rocket in his new Fenn, and was right up there near the front. Most of the boats were all single file, with me riding the side wash. I managed to hold on to this position for about 100 meters and then my side really started to ache, and I started to slide back. One after another the boats began to pass. It wasn't until about 4 or 5 boats past me, that I managed to get the pain under control. I had to really concentrate on my breathing to get things to settle down.

At this point both Micky and Katja were right in front of me, so I took advantage of their wakes and jumped in to the cradle, and basically sit there for the next 10 to 15 minutes. Even though I was getting a good ride, it was still hard work to stay with them. It wasn't until the turn into Bedwell that they shook me off, and were speeding away.

I upped my stroke rate to match Katja's, and manged to minimze the gap that was forming in front of me. This part was a really hard grind. We got to the 5 km can, and Micky shot off like a rocket after going around the turn. With Katja in hot pursuit of Micky, and my ( as usual ) bad turn. ( I really need to work on that ) the gap doubled in a very short period of time. Crap! The only way I thought to be able to catch these two, was to totally concentrate on technique and power. So that is what I did. I sat up straight, actually slowed my stroke rate down, and powered each stroke through. This made a noticeable difference, and I started to catch up.

As we were approaching the exit from Bedwell, the safety boat with its beautiful wash came up on my right. Along for the ride was one of the Billy clan riding a Millinium. I quickly jumped on the wake and was gifted with a rocket ride all the way up to Katja. Just then the safety boat stopped and turned around. So now Katja and I were side by side going into the turn to Jugg. I kept looking down to make sure I was not going to run aground.

From here I could see Bob and his Son Seth in the double XT, and decided that they would be my goal. So I started to keep the power on and bring the stroke rate up a little. This seemed to keep Katja at bay, but I did not catch the speedie XT. At this point I had to just keep it going, to keep Katja from catching and passing me. I thought my head was going to explode. As I was approaching the finish line, Daryl who had already finished, started to tell me to crank it. I thought Katja was trying to sneak up and pass. So I hammered it. As I crossed the finish line, I looked back to see not Katja, but the guy with the beautiful cedar strip kayak about 3 seconds behind me. Boy that was close. If Daryl had not told me to go, he would have caught me at the line.

Thanks Daryl.

2 comments:

rainbow said...

Any thoughts on what is causing this 'side-ache' issue that seems a common accurrance at all your races? You holding your breath during the start? Seems you have a way to adjust your breathing to fix the problem...perhaps you want to try this breathing trick earlier...before the problem shows up...maybe it will prevent it from happening.

dkpearse said...

I think the main reason, is breathing through my mouth rather than in through my nose, plus not getting a bigger breath in. At the start it is usually very fast breathing, and through the mouth, which is causing the side aches. It is something that I need to work on.

Right now breathing through my nose is a problem because it is plugged. Either be from a cold or alergies. I was thinking of trying those breath right strips, to open up the nostrils.