I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Deep Cove #12 – Short Course, 5 Km. Time Trial



Deep Cove #12 – Short Course, 5 Km. Time Trial

Today I was not feeling 100%, and with the upcoming Mountain to Sound relay race on the weekend, and Big Chop #5 on Thursday, I decided to do the short course tonight. (if there was one) Not many racers choose the short course, so I knew it would be a time trial for me.

Since I have a slight cold and a bit stuffed up, I wanted to test some of those Breathe Right nasal strips. As soon as I put one on, there was a huge difference in my breathing. It was alot easier, and a bigger throughput, so to speak.

Checked out the course board for tonight's course, and was greeted by a short course, yes! It was going to be from Deep Cove to Boulder Island and back. The same course Amber and I did in the double XT. Of course I got the usual flak for doing the short course, but with the up coming races, I was willing to take the heat.

Bob had a pre-race meeting with all the paddlers on the beach. He was telling us that we should be ble to self rescue should be come out of our boats, and that part of the race would involve a self rescue. Luckily for me, it was going to be at the end of the race. I didn't want my cold to get worse, and paddling soaking wet for 25 minutes was not going to help. So as you approuched the dock on the left hand side, you had to get out of your boat, and go under water, (head and all) and get back in your boat. This was for everyone, not just the skis.

With that said everyone went for a quick warmup paddle, and headed to the line for the start. After the usual course description, it was a GO. I started fast because I wanted to stay near the front. I managed to get on at the end of the lead group, and kept it there all the way to the edge of the cove. After that a gap started to form. We were cruising along the west wall out of the cove trying to dodge the incoming current. I could see some confusion at the front of the pack, as to where they were going. All of a sudden everyone cranked a hard left and started going across the arm.

Everyone up front was doing the long course and were going far to the left of where I wanted to go. This wasn't a problem because I was off the back of the lead group. That was until a white nose witha big red maple leaf came along my right side. That was going to be a problem because he was in the way of me heading to Boulder. To make things worse along came the nose of a V10L inbetween us. It was Renee, and he was telling us to go left, but I kept heading towards Boulder. He did not like this too much and then he started banging the side of my ski with his paddle. I guess I was squeezing him up against Mike.

I could see that this was going to go no where fast, so I let up and let them pass in front of me. This gave me a clear shot for the north tip of Boulder. As I was crossing over, I glanced down at my GPS, and saw 9.8 kph. I could feel the current, but didn't realize just how much it was slowing me down. My tactic would be to go to the north tip of Boulder and paddle as close to it as I could get. That way I might catch an eddy , and push up my speed. Sure enough the GPS was reading 11.5 going along the wall.

As I was going around the corner, I was checking out the for sale sign, and was wondering how much does an island cost these days. Soon I was back in the middle of the arm going with the current and making some good speed. I passed Brian and Brigid Wong going the other way in a plastic sit on top. I found out later that they came in second in the short course.

Coming into the cove the sun was shining directly into my eyes. This was another good time to practice eyes closed paddling. So that is what I did. Four strokes eyes open, and four strokes eyes closed. I did this for about 6 sets. Once I was in the shadow, I could see the dock and my destiny with the water. I really wasn't looking forward to being cold, but them are the rules.

So I hanged my legs over, which is really easy in the EVO, and in I went. I looked back to see if anyone was coming, and saw no one. I said to the girls/time keepers that I guess I could take my time, but since I did not want to stay in the water for too long, I quickly dunked my head, and remounted my ski. Then it was a easy paddle to the finish line.

My time was in the range I was looking for, and the nasal strip did its job perfectly. Made for a good time trial.

1 comment:

rainbow said...

Short course!!! So that is where you disappeared to. Lost sight of you ahead of me.
What's the deal jamming out on the full race?