I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

S.M.A.R.T. GOALS

I guess the first thing I need to do is define where I need to be in terms of endurance and speed in order to "compete" at the games. It is one thing to be at the games and be a lily pusher, it is another thing to actually compete against the best that Australia and other parts of the world have to offer. (In my age group that is)

This brings me to the concept of SMART goals.

SPECIFIC:

This means that I have to nail down exactly what I want accomplish at the games. Lets face it, if I am going to go all the way to Australia, I am going to go to win. So there it is Gold in the K1 1000m and the K1 500m.

MEASURABLE:

Now I need some way of measuring my progress in order to achieve my goals listed above. That means doing set distance time trails throughout the next two years. these trails should be at specific time intervals. Say every three months.

ATTAINABLE:

Now comes one of the hard ones. Can I actually obtain what I am looking to achieve at the games. After reviewing the times from the last games in Australia, I think I can, with a lot of work. Which means my work ethic in paddling will have to make a huge jump.


RELEVANT:

As for this aspect of the concept, I think it is relevant to who I am. I like to compete. I need to keep a healthy life style, both for myself and my family.

TIME-BASED:

This is the easiest of the five. I've got less than two years to do this, period.


I guess in my next post I will have to actually list my time goals and my physical goals for the next two years. Once it written, I guess I am committed.

No comments: