I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Raining Buckets K1 Masters Practise

This weeks Masters Practise was very, very wet. As I was driving to Burnaby Lake to pick up a Super Lancer to use, the skies opened up and started to just dump. I got soaked just going from my car to the water, which was only about 10 meters away.

I managed to get in two laps before the rest of the crew got to the lake. The first lap was ok, but the steering in the boat was off. I had to crank over the tiller bar to the right to go straight. So after the first lap, I pulled over at the beach and tried to fix it. It did not seem to work, no matter what I did. So for the rest of the night, I would fiddle with it, and still have the bar cranked over.

I managed to over come this by just leaving it where it was and placing my feet below the tiller bar on the foot board. It was the most comfortable solution, but it worked. I will have to check the steering this weekend to make sure there isn't a problem at the rudder end of the system.

The next lap I caught up with Katja and paddle beside her. My goal was to stay with her, but with a slower stroke rate. That way I had to use power to keep the boat at the same speed. Then it was off to the beach to talk to Lynn my coach. I was getting good rotation, but I was still not pausing long enough at the catch before rotating. As well my hands were too low, so I wasn't getting the blade in vertical.

My next lap was to concentrate on those aspects of the stroke. Some times I would get it, other time I would lose it. When you get the proper stroke you can really feel the boat rocket forward. This is why my practises usually end up longer than scheduled. Once I get in the groove, I don't want to stop because I will lose it. So an hour usually ends up being an hour and a half or two hours.

It was overall a good practise because I was really trying to use power with technique. I was really tired after this one.

No comments: