I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dark and Dreary K1 Practise

I got off to a late start tonight, so by the time I got to Deas, it was 6pm, raining, and dark. The rowers were already out on the water. (the ones that actually braved it) Good thing I had my neon yellow shirt with me for visibility out on the water.

So I decided to try going out without stretching. Turn out to be not so good of an idea. Big surprise. I started to seize up by the time I got to the bridge on the first lap. So I had to stretch in the boat on the next length, by over rotating in the boat. This worked out ok. When I got back to the dock, I hopped out and stretched properly. Mental note, ALWAYS STRETCH, even if it is pouring rain.

Back for another lap of the slough. This time I was concentrating on pulling my blade out of the water fast and at the hip. I have a visual clue, as to when my on side blade is at my hip. My off side hand is just before the center of the boat, at that time I snap the blade out of the water, and continue to rotate past center a little to set up for the next stroke.

If you sit in a chair, you can go through your stroke to see where your visual clue is. It will be different for different paddle lengths, arm lengths, etc. As you rotate look at your on side blade, and stop it at or just before it reaches your hip. Now look at your off side hand to see its location. That is your visual clue, as to when to pull the blade out of the water. It sure is easier to do this in a chair versus an ICF flat water boat.

So I made sure that I had my weight on the blade all the way through the stroke, and then snap it out of the water. It is important to keep the power on, all the way through the stroke, not just at the beginning.
This was working ok, but I would lose it, and get it back again. Still not an automatic thing, needs work. Reminds me of a saying I heard “Amateurs practise till they get it right, Pros practise until they can't get it wrong”

After working on this, I decided or the rain did for me, to cap it at two laps, but that was not the end of paddling. Now I started to work on an area that I am weak on, and that is starts. My starts are very poor.
So the first thing was to break down the function of the start and work on it step by step.

The first thing is paddling to the start line, and get ready for the start. So I had an imaginary line, and use it to line up. I did a couple of things here, at first I would ease up to the line and just sit there. Then I would go past the line and paddle backwards slowly to the line. This is because as part of tactics, you should go past the line by a little amount and have the starter call you back. Be forewarned though, some starters can get a little annoyed with this tactic, and can start bagging on you.

Then I practise some of the stuff that might come up as you sitting at the line. Scratching my head, looking at my watch, that sort of thing. I can't tell you how many times myself or someone else has gone in by just adjusting their hat, or fiddling with something at the line. So I did this for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Next up was raising the paddle for the start. It is one thing to sit there with your paddle in a “neutral” position, it is another to hold it in a off balance position, as in the start for any amount of time without practise. So I did this one for about 15 minutes. I would raise the paddle just like the start, with the blade in the water, and hold it for as long as I could.

Now came actually starting. The first four strokes are the power ones, to get the boat up and moving. So in my mind, I would be saying “racers start within tens seconds”, raise the paddle to the set position, hold it for a couple of seconds, and then hammer the first four strokes, and then glide. I would try to get a explosive start, like a 100 meter sprinter on a track. I did this about ten times, each one with different success. Not consistent at all. Needs more work. I managed to only swim twice during this section of the workout, and one was because I was braking really hard, so I wouldn't hit the beach.

By now it was dark, and almost 8 pm. I hustled to get the boat bagged and on the car, and then changed. I was the last person to leave the park. It sure is creepy in the rain and pitch black. Other than that it was a good practise.

No comments: