I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Nicomekl River K1 Practise


As a bit of a change I kept driving down the freeway to the Nicomekl River Rowing Club for today's K1 practise. Also because the ski boats had the slough this afternoon, not that the Nicomekl would be any better for boat traffic. The Nicomekl has no set times for paddle sports and boating, it is every man for himself.

After getting my boat to the dock, and finished my stretching routine, it was off to paddle up stream first. Within the first 100 meters of leaving the dock the first boat appeared from behind me. They slowed down for the marina where I launched, but as soon as they got past the marker they gunned it. This was going to be a concern, but I turned into the coming waves and paddled through them. I watch the waves come right up to the combing, just short of coming into the cockpit.

Then I turned back toward the shore, riding the waves in that direction. It was fun, and the speed cranked right up fast. I am starting get the hang of paddling the Thunder in some pretty bouncy conditions. From here it was a easy paddle to the first turn in the river. There was current going the opposite direction as I was, and when I got to the turn, the bow wanted to swing around on me. I managed to keep it straight, and headed around the dock the golf course made, and straight to the shore on the other side.

I wanted to stay fairly close to the shore because I was paddling by myself, and if need be, I could just swim / paddle to shore and get out. That's one of the reasons why I wear my Vital ID band. Usually I am paddling on my own, and if I get into trouble there is emergency information on me.

I continued all the up to the Elgin bridge and then turned around a headed down river. Once I got back to the dock, I pulled over and stretch again before heading to the ocean. I stayed on the west side shore of the river, just in case I need a easy exit from the water, and the boats seem to hug the opposite side.

Nothing exciting happened all the way down the river, no boats, no sudden waves, just a nice easy paddle. When I got to the train bridge, I pulled over for a bit of a rest, and watch the boats leaving the Crescent Beach marina, heading out to Mud bay. After about 5 minutes, I decided to head back to the dock.

Cruising along, a cabin cruiser came by, so I turned to catch the wave at the right angle, so I would not dump. Let the waves roll past, and then paddled to catch them. Riding these waves was interesting because they were trying to throw me in the wrong direction than what I wanted. So I was continuously adjusting my steering and my paddle to compensate.

I came to the last 90 degree bend in the river, just before the dock. This is the spot where the water gets quite fun. It is where the river flow meets the in coming tide, or it seems. The water ends up going straight up and down, as in washing machine. Great in a ski, not so much in a K1. I must be getting better in this boat, because I had no problem paddling through it. In fact I went back for a second shot at it.

Then I did a sprint the length of the dock. I jumped out of the boat and stretched a little bit, and then paddle again up to the Elgin bridge and back. The total distance was only about 12.5 kilometers.

No comments: