I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

K1 Practice – Look Ma No Paddle

Today was another K1 technique practice with balance drills at the end. It was the usual loops around Deas with some power ups just to make things interesting. My back is sore from the weekend so i wasn't into really pushing my limits. I did manage 6 loops in the time that I had.

Coming in after the last loop, I decided to do some balance drills at the beach. So I positioned myself about 3 meters from the shore and started to do some side braces, and leaning the boat over as far as I could. then I started to do the closed eyes drills. Side braces, forward strokes, and backward strokes, all with my eyes closed. Then I tried to sit in one spot and lift my arms up to shoulder height with my eyes closed. This did not work out too well, as I decided to wash my shirt since it was sweaty, lol.

After draining my boat, I decided to do some no paddle drills as suggested by Lynn my coach. So I tossed my paddle on shore and started to paddle down the slough. Before I knew it i was 150 meters from shore. what can I say no guts, no glory. It is one thing to go this in shallow water, it is another to do it where you will need to swim a fair distance to get back in.

I continued to paddle around with just my hands for the next 15 minutes. I was having fun, this was a blast. I paddled back to the beach area, and parked about 5 meters from the shore. Then I was trying to sit there and bring my arms up in a “T” at shoulder height. Then I would bring them slowly down and forward, to makes things interesting. Then I tried to bounce the boat at the same time. I could only do this for a short time, as it was getting a little too tippy without a paddle.

I ended up going in again because as I wasn't paying attention, and was drifting backwards towards the shore, and digging the stern into the shore. Oops.

I have come a long ways since starting to paddle ICF K1s. When I first started I could barely paddle a Laser trainer, and now I am closing my eyes and staying dry. I remember trying a boat with this level of stability and being scared to let go of the dock. I would stay up for about 5 seconds max, before going swimming. Just goes to show you that if you keep at it you will succeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darrell,
Your blog demonstrates the type of improvement from novice to competant practitioner that I seek. After being petrified of coming to a stop (particularly at a race start), I'm now incorporating balance drills in all my training sessions.

Robert