I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

K1 Technique Practice

oday was a technique practice in Deas slough with the Thunder. Each time out now I am getting better with both balance and technique. Mind you there are set backs some times.

I have been paddling for almost a week now with my new one piece paddle. It is a Think carbon mid wing blade, and has a different feel to it than either my Epic or my Set. This is going to be my main paddle from now on. It has a bigger bite at the catch and has a smooth exit. I would like to thank Daryl of Think Kayaks for setting me up with the new paddle.

This practice was all about technique and distance. I worked on what Lynn was telling me the day before about pausing at the catch or setup and then powering through the “entire” stroke, not just at the beginning. By moving my seat up really helps in this regard, as I can really push hard off the foot board.

I concentrated on slowing my stroke rate down, and make each one count. Trying to setup each stroke properly with lots of rotation, and putting as much weight on the blade as I could without getting tippy. With each time out I am improving this aspect of my paddling. Also keeping my on side arm straight through the stroke is working out. Doing this helps keeping the power on the blade through out the stroke.

You can really feel the boat jump forward. After a couple of laps, it was time to practice some balance. Did the usual, eyes closed, side draws, forward, backward strokes, as well as I started to try bouncing the boat. Having your eye closed gives a whole new meaning to being able to feel the boat.

Then it was off for three more laps of the slough. This made the distance by the time I was done, to 11 kilometers. I am looking forward to the next practice. Whenever that maybe, with work being so busy right now.

The thunder is definitely my hardest boat to paddle, but it is still my favorite. It gives you a sense of accomplishment being able to paddle it.

No comments: