I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pre-Race Run

My run for today was a 30 minute steady pace. It was going to be from Vanier Park, along the sea wall for 15 minutes and back. Since this is the start for tonight's Big Chop race it just makes sense to do an out and back run.

As I was getting ready to run, John George paddled up in his Millinium. As we were chatting, Kamini ran past at an good pace. Kamini is an ex national team member in the women's K4. I thought that she would make a good incentive to keep the pace up. So after about 3 to 4 minutes, off I went. The chase was on.

As I was running along the sea wall I could see what tonight's race conditions were going to be. It was going to be very bouncy, and lots of boat traffic to deal with. It is going to be a good one. The pace I was going was an easy one, with an average of 11.3 kph. Still nursing a tight right ankle, and did not want to push it any harder than that. Just under the point where I could fell it. This turned out to be a good pace, one that I could just cruise and sight see as I went.

As I came up the stairs and around the corner, there just 30 mters in front of me was Kamini. I looked at my watch, another 1 minute left before I turn around. About 15 secs later she turned and headed back. I kept running until the 15 minutess was up, turned around and headed back. I caught Kamini, and we chatted for a little while. We were slowed up by some other people on the side walk, so I hopped on to the road and just kept going.

With the temperature being so warm, it really helped in loosening up my ankle. This was one of those really fun runs. I wish they were all like that. Got back to Vanier right on time. Ended my run at the exact point in which i started, which meant my pace was the same both coming and going. Now it is time to get ready for the race.

No comments: