I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

May Training Schedule


Here is my tentative training schedule for the coming month of May. as you can see there is not very much paddling as compared to the running and swimming. This is because right now there is not enough light in the morning to change to a more paddling orientated schedule yet.

I have been criticized for not paddling as much as I should. I have to totally agree with the idea that there is no other better training for paddling than paddling, but with my “life” schedule this is not possible.
during the times that I am running and swimming, there is not enough time to go paddling. These are the times that I am not substituting some other training for paddling, but training my aerobic capacity for improving my paddling ability.

As the day light increases so will my opportunity to paddle in the morning. This will bring my paddling up to a more reasonable level of training for what I want to accomplish. As it stands starting this week I will be racing twice a week, until the end of August. These races will be training races, with each race I will try to focus on a different aspect of training. i.e. starts, wash riding, intervals,, etc. The Tuesday Night races will even include running and eventually swimming, as the weather warms up.

I am looking forward to see how I fair in these multi sport races, with the cross training that I have been doing. This week is also the addition of weight training to my schedule. Most of this will be free weight with some work on my home gym. Lots of core work, to improve my power output and for improving my balance in the K1s.

The biggest improvement in balance came from increasing the strength of my core, or as Steve very accurately says my pillar. There is more to training the core, there is all the muscles from your butt all the way to your neck, that needs conditioning as well. This will be one of the main focuses for the month of May.

No comments: