I am a late forties kayak racer. My goal is to compete at the World Masters Games in Turin, Italy in 2013. I will be racing in ICF sprint kayaks. This blog will be my training diary for the next 4 yrs. I use a variety of running, weights, and cross training to hopefully become a better kayaker.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Deep Cove # 14 – Hard Race, Paddle Test


Tonights race was going to include a swim in the middle. The long course was going to be, out from Deep Cove over to the mainland across from Jugg Island. Beach your boat and swim 160 meters over to Jugg and back, then paddle around Raccoon Island, over to Lone Rock lighthouse and back to Deep Cove.The total distance would be just under 8 kilometers.


As well tonight I was paddle testing. I'm in the market for a new paddle, so I am trying out as many blades as possible. During the race I was using a Max paddle. It was the Hank McGregor model in carbon. As soon as it was handed to me, I knew that this paddle was going to be a little much for me, due to its size and the aggressive shape. It came in between the SET paddle I normally use and my large blade Epic, which I use on occasion.


The quality of the paddle was top notch, and the small shaft was perfect for my hands. So off I went for my warm up paddle. With the blade in the water, it became apparent that this was going to be a chore for me over the 8 km distance. The grip at the catch is big, and the blade holds the water all the through the stroke with minimal slip. The exit is effortless.

After a quick paddle to the 5 knot can, it was time to hustle to the start line. As we were sitting at the line, Bob got out of his ski onto the dock, and started to speak through the load speaker. He said that Ty's wife to be, had secretly bought him a new Kevlar Legend and was going to give it to him in a couple of weeks, but because he was whining about getting a new ski, that she gave it to him tonight. So with that said Bob pushed the boat out into the cove and said that if Ty wanted to use his new ski, he would have to swim for it. With everyone cheering him on, that is exactly what he did. He had the biggest smile as he was swimming for it.

Then it was time to go. It was a quick start, and I got a good position beside Rod. I looked over to the far right and there was a group of paddlers behind the double XT of Brian and Sasha, moving fast. Up at the front of our group was Jim in his K1. During this time, actual throughout the whole race my balance was just not on. I was tippy, and could not seem to get it to work. It was not long before I was off the back of the group. I was basically on my own for the next 2000 meters, when Lina came up on my left hand side. Lina is getting stronger every week in the XT. So I decided to fight with my balance a little and stay with her. She would start passing me, and I would up the rate and move in front . She would then up the rate and try to pass again, so I would up it again. It was fun messing with her, but after awhile my balance became an issue again and I dropped off.

As we were coming up to Jugg, and the swim, I could see Jim carrying his K1 up the beach, and head out for his swim. I got to the beach and pulled my ski up on the beach, and headed out for my swim. Boy was it cold. It may have been a hot day, but that water was not. I managed to pass a couple of people on the swim. Once back on shore I grabbed my ski, and tried to manoeuvre through the piles of boats all over the beach.

I managed to squeeze through a gap, and get going after Colleen who was ahead of me. Around Jugg, and off to raccoon, With both Hope Brothers right behind me. The balance thing was still going on, and slowing me down. Rod passed me, but I managed to hold off Greg. As we approached Raccoon Island, I pulled up beside Colleen, and sat there for the length of the island. We we reached the northern tip of the island, I decided it was time to go. So I upped the pace, and managed to catch some decent waves to scoot ahead. I was on my own from then on. Steve was just in front of me, but I just could not real him in before the finish line.

No comments: